- Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow
- Washington Redskins: Chase Young
- Detroit Lions: Tua Tagovailoa/Justin Herbert
- New York Giants: Isaiah Simmons
- Miami Dolphins: Justin Herbert/Tua Tagovailoa
There are going to be some Charger fans that disagree with this take but the team’s worst-case scenario in the first round is likely going to lead to Jordan Love being selected sixth overall. This does not mean that it is a bad prospect, as he still is a first-round prospect with potential, but it is the worst of the bunch.
More from Bolt Beat
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
This scenario sees the Detroit Lions select a quarterback, essentially signaling that the end of the Matthew Stafford era is near. It would not be all that surprising, either, as Matt Patricia may look for a new quarterback to be ‘his guy’.
The Lions drafting a quarterback did not seem to be something that was in the cards but with reports that the team recently interviewed both Tua and Herbert, it has become a reality.
It does not matter which quarterback the team selects with the third pick because we can assume that the Dolphins will select the other. This takes three quarterbacks off the board, leaving the Chargers to select Love with the sixth pick.
In a different situation, the Chargers might be able to hold steady and trade back in the first round (either by trading down or by trading the second-round pick) to select Love. However, with Love then being the best quarterback left on the board, the Chargers could not afford to not take him at six.
This also takes away the possibility of the Chargers taking arguably the most exciting potential rookie in Isaiah Simmons and somehow trading into a high first-round pick to get both Simmons and Love. That is already unlikely, this makes it impossible.
So in reality, the Lions have the power to mess the Chargers’ draft up. And while Love might not seem like a mistake to some fans, I personally think he would be a big mistake at six.