Third round, No. 91 overall: Sione Takitaki, LB, BYU
Sione Takitaki is a tackling machine who can provide a pass rush off the edge, but taking him here with this pick seems a bit of a stretch. Reuter is clearly addressing a ned assuming Denzel Perryman and Kyle Emanuel are out of the equation next season, but Takitaki is a day three pick.
More from Bolt Beat
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
He played in 41 games for the Cougars and had at least three sacks in each of his seasons with the team. He also forced two fumbles and recovered two fumbles.
Telesco usually likes to play it safe in the middle rounds of the draft and taking Takitaki would be a bit out of character unless he sees something in him that few others have to this point.
He is athletic player who is around the ball when plays need to be made. He may have helped his stock in the week leding up to this year’s Senior Bowl as well. Still, third round seems a bit high.
If the Chargers are looking for a linebacker at this spot, it seems some better options will still be available.