In yet another big day for quarterback Philip Rivers, the Chargers were able to beat the Washington Redskins and move to 7-6, tying them for first place in the AFC West with the Kansas City Chiefs, who they are playing against this week.
In fantasy, the Chargers had yet another good week against the Redskins, especially in the passing game. In their upcoming game with the Chiefs. the Chargers will likely look to do much of the same against their divisional opponent. Before we look at this week’s fantasy prospects, let’s take a look at some of the significant performances from last week.
Tyrell Williams, who remains inconsistent at times (partly due to the production of Keenan Allen), had a 132-yard performance against the Redskins that included a long touchdown.
It seems that Williams is often able to benefit when Allen has a tough match up, such as that with Josh Norman last week, so Allen’s match up with Marcus Peters this week may open things up for Williams. Consider him a fringe flex start.
I have neglected to talk about Chargers kickers in the past, mostly due to their rather lackluster performance, but Travis Coons has been a fantasy revelation and needs to be considered in all formats.
In just two games with the Chargers, Coons is 7 for 8 on field goals and 4 for 4 on extra points. While you may be tentative to pick up a Chargers kicker, the sheer volume of kicks Coons has seen thus far merits him some fantasy consideration.
Start or Sit?
Here are the players previously mentioned along with some who were not, with the parentheses indicating the tier of each player in fantasy terms and my projection for them this week.
More from Bolt Beat
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
- Philip Rivers – Start (QB1) – My Projection: 20 points (Standard)
- Melvin Gordon – Start (RB1) – My Projection: 12 points (Standard), 14 points (PPR)
- Keenan Allen – Start (WR1) – My Projection: 15 points (Standard), 23 points (PPR)
- Tyrell Williams – Start (Flex/WR3) – My Projection: 9 points (Standard), 13 points (PPR)
- Hunter Henry – Start (TE1) – My Projection: 7 points (Standard), 12 points (PPR)
- Travis Benjamin – Bench (WR3) – My Projection: 5 points (Standard), 8 points (PPR)
- Antonio Gates – Bench (TE2) – My Projection: 1 point (Standard), 2 points (PPR)
- Austin Ekeler – Bench (RB2/RB3) – My Projection: 5 points (Standard), 8 points (PPR)
- Mike Williams – Bench (WR4) – My Projection: 1 point (Standard), 3 points (PPR)
- Travis Coons – Start (K1/K2) – My Projection: 9 points (Standard)
What are you expecting out of the Bolts this week in fantasy? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section.