With so many conflicting reports, Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams’ situation is a hard one to figure out.
What is going with Chargers first-round pick Mike Williams? That’s a question Chargers fans have been asking the last month or so.
You’d have more luck getting a date with Margot Robbie than getting a clear update on Williams at this point.
Williams, the No. 7 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, suffered a herniated disk in his lower back on the first day of rookie minicamp and missed the final two weeks of the offseason program. That’s what we know. We also know that he got a second epidural a little more than a week ago to help fix the issue.
But over the course of two weeks, there have been rumors of Williams possibly getting back surgery, to him saying everything’s good, to general manager Tom Telesco being optimistic about Williams’ situation, to Williams missing all of training camp, and to him now in danger of missing the 2017 season.
Let’s just look at what was reported the last 24 hours:
On #Chargers WR Mike Williams: He's feeling much better. Doing some running today at practice. They just don't want any setbacks. No rush.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 30, 2017
Chargers' HC Anthony Lynn told the La Times that WR Mike Williams could be out all season.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 31, 2017
I know, right? It’s frustrating. But in a recent article by ESPN’s Eric D. Williams, M. Williams is reportedly doing well in rehab despite (what appears to be) season-ending back surgery being brought back on the table.
“I’m hopeful that it’s not, but who knows?” Lynn said, via ESPN.com. “It could be. I don’t know. You’d like to have him out [there], but fortunately we have depth at that position and we’re going to be OK.”
Again, you don’t want to rush anything, but it would be nice to see if progress is actually being made without having another report coming out saying the exact opposite.
Like the great Michael Scott said, fool me once, strike one, but fool me twice…strike three.