The LA Chargers were extremely busy during the first week of NFL free agency (and before) as the team had to make several restructures to open up cap space in order to bring back several internal free agents.
Things have started to cool down with more than a week removed from the start of free agency. There are still some talented players still on the market and the Chargers have spending space that they can still play around with in free agency.
Fans are hoping that there can be some big Chargers news this weekend, but for now, you have to settle for what we have in today's Chargers news roundup.
Chargers news roundup:
- The LA Chargers are bringing back both Kemon Hall and Cameron Dicker. Hall is a depth defensive back who will compete for a job in training camp while Dicker could be the team's starting kicker next season after thriving in 2022. Bringing Dicker back also could signal that the Chargers are potentially looking to cut Dustin Hopkins.
- Linebacker Troy Reeder agreed to a one-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings. Reeder was a solid depth linebacker for the Bolts last season and played really well on special teams. It was expected that he would return but Minnesota likely offers a place where he can get more playing time than he would be getting in LA.
- Linebacker Bobby Wagner is still available on the free-agent market with some speculating that Wagner could still join the Chargers after Eric Kendricks. Arif Hasan of Pro Football Network broke down Wagner's potential fit in LA and why the team should want to sign him.
"Wagner has experience with Staley-style (defenses) from his time with the Rams and could lead an all-star LB corps with Kendricks to support a struggling defense that has some exciting pieces in Joey Bosa and Derwin James."
NFL news roundup:
- The New York Jets signed speedy former Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Mecole Hardman as the team presumably continues to load up for the addition of Aaron Rodgers.
- Following the Hardman signing, the Jets traded Elijah Moore to the Cleveland Browns. The Browns acquired Moore and the Jets' third-round pick in exchange for Cleveland's second-round pick — a pick that could be on the move in a Rodgers trade.
- Former Raiders tight end Foster Moreau discovered in a physical with the New Orleans Saints that he has Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Moreau is stepping away from football at this time and all of us here at Bolt Beat want to send our prayers and best wishes to Moreau and his family.