There is a bit less riding on the final two games of the season for the LA Chargers than the previous three weeks. After securing three huge wins in a row (and getting help from the rest of the conference), the Chargers have clinched a playoff spot with two weeks to spare.
The Chargers still have something to play for, however, as the team could potentially sneak into the fifth seed. This would be huge for the Bolts as it would give the team the winner of the AFC South in the first round of the playoffs, which is a much more favorable matchup.
These last two weeks of the season are critical, even if they will not determine whether or not the Bolts make the playoffs. Here is your Chargers news roundup ahead of the Week 17 contest against the LA Rams:
Chargers news roundup:
- Derwin James has been ruled OUT of Sunday's game against the Rams. James has been practicing but was put in concussion protocol after his ejection-worthy hit in Week 16. With a playoff spot clinched and a lesser opponent on the docket, being careful with James makes sense.
- After appearing on the injury report earlier in the week, Austin Ekeler was removed in Friday's update. Fullback Zander Horvath was listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Rams.
- Joey Bosa explains that he has been dealing with a myriad of lingering injuries and that his surgery this season helped clean some of those things up. Bosa was activated off the IR on Thursday after suffering a torn groin in Week 3.
NFL news roundup:
- Lamar Jackson will miss his fourth straight game with a knee injury he suffered in Week 13. Jackson was originally expected to return on Christmas Eve in Week 16. The Ravens are one game ahead of the Chargers for the fifth seed with the Bolts holding the tiebreaker.
- Tua Tagovailoa was officially ruled out of Week 17's contest against the New England Patriots after being placed in concussion protocol this week. Teddy Bridgewater will start.
- Jalen Hurts is doubtful to return in Week 17 against the New Orleans Saints. Philadelphia still has not locked in the one seed and is only one game ahead of the Minnesota Vikings (with the tiebreaker). Gardner Minshew will start.
- Buccaneers quarterback Blane Gabbert helped rescue four people from an emergency water helicopter landing in Tampa Bay. You can read more about the story here.