The LA Chargers have dealt with the injury bug for the entire 2022 season and have had some of the worst luck in the entire league. Even players that have not missed a game, like quarterback Justin Herbert, have had to deal with injuries that have hindered their play.
Making matters worse is that Herbert has not had his usual slate of weapons throughout the entire season. The Chargers were healthy in the first half of Week 1's win against the Las Vegas Raiders and that was about it. Ever since then, it has been a disaster.
The wide receiver room is especially thin in Week 9 against the Atlanta Falcons. Despite having a bye week to rest up and potentially make a move to add depth to the roster, the Chargers are heading into a game in which the group is the thinnest it has been all year.
The LA Chargers wide receiver depth chart heading into Week 9:
With all of the injuries and ailments that the Bolts are currently dealing with, here is how the wide receiver depth chart will likely look for Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.
- WR1: Joshua Palmer (26 receptions, 240 yards, 1 TD)
- WR2: Michael Bandy (4 receptions, 48 yards, 0 TD)
- WR3: Jason Moore (1 reception, 5 yards, 0 TD)
- WR4: Joe Reed (0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 TD)
- WR5: John Hightower (0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 TD)
The LA Chargers are looking at a group that is headlined by a disappointing second-year receiver in front of four receivers that started the season on the practice squad or are still on the practice squad and would have to be elevated for this game.
The Chargers are dealing with four injuries at the wide receiver position that leaves them without their WR1, WR2, WR4 and WR5.
- Keenan Allen: Reaggravated hamstring during the bye week, listed as OUT
- Mike Williams: Suffered ankle sprain in Week 7, will miss 3-5 more weeks, listed as OUT
- DeAndre Carter: Added to injury report on Friday with an illness, listed as QUESTIONABLE
- Jalen Guyton: On Injured Reserve (torn ACL)
Carter could play in this game depending on how he feels over the weekend but Chargers fans should be expecting the team to be without him this week. Nothing has gone right for the team thus far this season and expecting Carter's situation to be any different is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
These are not the only weapons that Justin Herbert will be without as well. Joshua Kelley is on the IR with a knee injury and Donald Parham reaggravated his hamstring injury and will be out for several weeks.
That means that Justin Herbert could be without his WR1, WR2, WR4, WR5, RB2 and TE2 on Sunday against the Falcons.