Chargers: Stories to keep an eye on
- The Chargers lost Andrew Vollert to an ACL injury, which will force him to miss the entire rest of the regular season. Sean Culkin appears to have a firm grip on the third tight end spot, but more opportunity now exists for Matt Sokol (who did not have a good game) and Vince Mayle to push for a roster spot.
- Malachi Dupre led the team in receiving yards, albeit only on two catches for 32 yards. Still, that’s 29 more yards than both Davis and Scott put up. No other non-starter notched more than one reception. He caught both passes from Easton Stick, and if the rookie quarterback can build upon his flashy first game, Dupre becoming his favorite receiver could only mean good things for him.
- Anthony Lynn specifically mentioned Roderic Teamer as a standout following a re-watch of Thursday’s game. Keep an eye on both him and Adarius Pickett in this game.
- Jeremy Cox was getting practice work as a fullback, but only notched seven snaps on Thursday. Let’s see if the kid can play.
- Scott Quessenberry had the fifth-most offensive snaps, playing primarily as the team’s reserve right guard behind Michael Schofield. With Lamp taking reps at left guard, the former UCLA Bruin looks to make the team once more as a player who can back up both the center and guard position. But if Lamp wins the left guard job, where does that put Feeney? Does the team keep two backup guard/centers?
- Will someone finally end the Cardale Jones experiment? Though Stick may not deserve the job based on one performance alone, every fan and pundit knows he has more upside at this point.
What could be the most intriguing story line (and fans are starting to talk about it) is the idea of Tranquill overtaking Denzel Perryman as the team’s starting MIKE linebacker. For as good as No. 52 has been, he’s frequently injured. Furthermore, Perryman is much smaller than Tranquill and is not well-known for his coverage skills. Could the two co-exist in a rotation? It’s clear Telesco wanted to upgrade the athleticism at linebacker, so let’s see how the two linebackers rotate in this game.