The Chargers have not played on Thanksgiving Day since 1969, before the AFL-NFL merger. In the 2017 season, the Chargers will have the opportunity to play in Dallas on Thanksgiving in Week 12. This provides an opportunity for the Chargers to be in the spotlight, but just how significant will the matchup be?
Previously, I had predicted the Chargers’ record for next season based on their matchups. Using those predictions, we can see how the Chargers could be doing by Week 12.
- Week 1: @ Denver – W (1-0)
- Week 2: vs. Miami – W (2-0)
- Week 3: vs. Kansas City – W (3-0)
- Week 4: vs. Philadelphia – L (3-1)
- Week 5: @ NY Giants – L (3-2)
- Week 6: @ Oakland – W (4-2)
- Week 7: vs. Denver – W (5-2)
- Week 8: @ New England – L (5-3)
- Week 9: Bye
- Week 10: @ Jacksonville – W (6-3)
- Week 11: vs. Buffalo – W (7-3)
If my predictions are correct, the Chargers could be (7-3) by the time we reach Thanksgiving Day.
Of course, these predictions are slightly optimistic and biased, and they also rely heavily on everything going right; but hopefully the scenario plays out in this way.
While 7-3 would be great for the Chargers going into Week 12, the Cowboys record is important as well. Here’s how I think they will do:
- Week 1: vs. NY Giants – L (0-1)
- Week 2: @ Denver – W (1-1)
- Week 3: @ Arizona – W (2-1)
- Week 4: vs. LA Rams – W (3-1)
- Week 5: vs. Green Bay – L (3-2)
- Week 6: Bye
- Week 7: @ San Francisco – W (4-2)
- Week 8: @ Washington – W (5-2)
- Week 9: vs. Kansas City – W(6-2)
- Week 10: @ Atlanta – L (6-3)
- Week 11: vs. Philadelphia – W (7-3)
Coincidentally, I believe that the Cowboys’ will have a similar first 11 weeks. Assuming that both of these scenarios come true, or at least are close, the importance of their Week 12 matchup greatly increases.
As of now, the Chargers are not seen by many as competitors at the level of the Cowboys, but if the teams have a similar record going into Week 12, it could be very close.
This game provides the Chargers with not only the opportunity to play against one of the NFL’s top teams, but also on one of the NFL’s biggest platforms, one where a win could go a long way for the popularity of a team that has recently moved.
Let us know in the comments what you think about the Chargers’ Week 12 matchup vs. Dallas and how the game will play out.