Chargers Free Agency

Chargers place tenders on Dontrelle Inman, Korey Toomer

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
facebooktwitterreddit

Wide receiver Dontrelle Inman and linebacker Korey Toomer, both of whom were restricted free agents, were reportedly tendered by the Chargers.

According to San Diego Union-Tribune’s Michael Gehlken, the Los Angeles Chargers have made it clear they want WR Dontrelle Inman and LB Korey Toomer back by tendering them before the deadline.

Chargers WR Dontrelle Inman received second-round tender: $2.746M. ILB Korey Toomer received original-round tender: $1.797M, sources said.

— Michael Gehlken (@GehlkenNFL) March 9, 2017

Inman received a second-round tender, so if another team makes an offer and the Chargers don’t match it, L.A. would receive a 2017 second-round pick. Toomer was given an original-round tender, which comes at a lower price. He was a fifth-round pick in 2012, so the Chargers would get a 2017 fifth-rounder if signed to another team.

Inman and Toomer were two of three restricted free agents that we said should be re-signed. Inman’s been a consistent receiver who stepped up following injuries to Keenan Allen and Travis Benjamin. He played in all 16 games, finishing the year with 58 receptions for 810 yards and four touchdowns, all of which were career highs.

With former second-round pick Manti Te’o being an unrestricted free agent, the Chargers needed to find depth at linebacker. Luckily, Toomer was the more productive player and likely the cheaper one to bring back, which was the case. Toomer, who was signed off the Raiders’ practice squad early on in the season, finished the year with 75 total tackles (second-most on the team), including six stuffs (tied for third-most on team), three forced fumbles, two pass deflections, one sack and one fumble recovery in 13 games. He received an 81.2 overall grade from Pro Football Focus. His athleticism, speed, tackling and playmaking ability will intrigue new DC Gus Bradley.

Meanwhile, RB Branden Oliver, who was the other RFA on our list, will not be tendered, as noted by Gehlken. With the news of Danny Woodhead going to Baltimore, the Chargers are in need of a change-of-pace back and overall depth at the RB position. Oliver missed all of last season with a torn Achilles, and tendering him would have cost the Chargers $1.7 million. Look for the Chargers to try and bring him back on a cheaper one-year deal.

Also, RB Andre Williams is one of several exclusive rights free agents that’s reportedly been re-signed.

Chargers to retain RB Andre Williams, S Adrian Phillips and TE Sean McGrath, among others, as exclusive-rights FAs, sources said.

— Michael Gehlken (@GehlkenNFL) March 9, 2017

Williams only played in one game last year (Week 17 vs. the Chiefs), but he showed good power and tenacity while averaging 4.8 yards per carry. The four-year runner has potential after rushing for seven touchdowns his rookie year with the Giants.

As for Woodhead’s replacement, Bengals’ Rex Burkhead, who is a younger and more durable version, is still on the market. If they don’t target him, the Chargers will likely add another RB in the draft.

facebooktwitterreddit