This weeks winner for the 10 with Tazz is Chris Metcalfe. Thanks for the questions Chris! And thanks to everyone else who submitted questions as well.
1. Why do we refuse to cut Donald Brown? He literally almost got Scifres killed last season.I think there are several reasons. One, all the RBs really like the guy. They talk about how smart he is and how helpful he has been in helping them improve their game. Two, he is supposedly the best blocking back on the team. I know he had the serious gaff when Scifres got blasted but overall he is a solid blocker. Three, if you cut him someone else will grab him. Its not like you can hide him on the practice team.
However that may not be enough to keep him. The roster on the offensive side of the ball is crowded.
Aug 22, 2015; Glendale, AZ, USA; San Diego Chargers kicker Josh Lambo (2) kicks the game winning field goal against the Arizona Cardinals during the second half at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Chargers won 22-19. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
2. Is it feasible to keep on 2 kickers (Novak and Lambo)?I am having a hard time seeing how they can do it. We already have the possibility of keeping a fourth RB, the decision between Austin Pettis or Javontee Herndon, and whether we should keep a ninth O-lineman. It’s not unheard of and I can see them doing it with Lambo doing kickoffs and Novak kicking FGs, especially if they think Lambo is the guy of the future.
3. Will we see some run plays this season that aren’t “run up the gut into a brick wall”?Of course. McCoy is big on keeping the D honest so we will see runs up the middle, hopefully these are blocked better than in years past. Plus, with the speed of LBs it is harder to get to the edge than you think, but we will see some outside plays.
Aug 13, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle (32) enters the field through a cloud of smoke before the preseason NFL game against the Dallas Cowboys at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
4. Is Weddle gone or would we tag him next year?It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Weddle said at the beginning of camp that he would not sign a contract with the Chargers. Will he change his mind? Maybe? I think it depends on how successful the Chargers are this season. If we go 9-7 this year, than Weddle may walk to see if he can find a team where he thinks he has a better chance of winning the big one. If we go 13-3, then he may want to stay around one more season. I think the Bolts will definitely tag him either way. He also said that if he gets tagged he would show up and play.
5. Am I the only one that thinks it’s the Raiders and Rams to LA and Chargers will stay?This is a hard one. You would think the NFL would keep the Chargers here, especially since the city is making a valiant effort to keep them here. However it looks like Spanos is set on moving the team and he has a lot of pull with the owners. I used to think the Chargers were a lock to stay but now I have it at a coin flip. I think the best move for the NFL is to allow Kroenke to move his Rams with the caveat that he has to let the Raiders use the stadium as well, then focus on arbitrating with the City of San Diego and the Spanos’ to get a stadium done in SD.
6. Will this 4 game suspension for Gates actually be a good thing and result in him being fresher come December?Yes. And it will get Green some serious playing time. This could do for Green what Floyd’s injury did for Keenan.
7. Other than Melvin Ingram, who looks most improved so far from last year?Donald Butler.
8. What ever happened with Rivers injury from last year? Does he have Wolverine’s healing ability or is it something that is a cause for concern this year?Wolverine healing ability
9. How many bolo ties should PR buy with is new monster contract money?None. He should save it for Dominos pizza.
10. Any cause for concern with Keenan’s two drops from last weekends game?None at all.