August 30, 2012; San Francisco, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner refers to ChargerGirl Cindi's "to do" list. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-US PRESSWIRE
Now that preseason is finally over it is time to reflect on what was learned and figure out how to fix it. This may seem like a daunting task for Norv Turner, so I thought I would make a list and offer up some advice.
1. Fix the offensive line – This is the number one priority heading into regular season. The left side is horrible. We need to get Gaither some stem cell injections or find some new guys to replace the Wal Mart greeters currently at left tackle and guard. I’m putting this more on you Hal, you gotta make this right or Rivers will be breaking his INT record.
2. Work on third down conversions – The Chargers had 17/52 over four games. I’m not good at math, but I can tell you this statistic is not good. Unless your defense is getting the ball and running it in for a touchdown every quarter the offense needs to produce some first downs.
3. Amp up the running game – I realize that our go to back is hurt, but our offense is all of a sudden predictable. Ok, maybe we have always been predictable, but with Gates back in the game and Mathews out it doesn’t take a defensive mastermind to figure out that the ball will be passed more often. Of the 59 first downs earned in four games only 15 were by rushing. (Chargers were 32nd in rushing in preseason)
4. Score more often – I know, this one seems weird, right. I just didn’t see any big exciting throws to the end zone. I realize Rivers was rushed almost every play and it was preseason, so maybe he was saving it up, but seriously, go big. Big explosive plays are what win games.
5. Erase the word conservative from everyone’s vocabulary – This is just as important as the others. No conservative play calling. Aggressive time management for all 60 football minutes. In your face player correction. It’s time for Norv to step up and act like he wants to win.
In case you didn’t notice, no fixes on defense. I like what I see. Jammer is back to his hard hitting self, Weddle is still being a badass and there seems to be a lot of energy on this side of the ball. I think the new kids are making an impact and I cannot wait to see some sacks on Monday – you hear me Spikes?
We definitely have some adjustments to do before Monday, but I can see the Chargers coming together in a way we have not seen in a long while.
Believe and Boltup!