Dec 31, 2011; San Francisco CA, USA; Illinois Fighting Illini defensive lineman Whitney Mercilus (85) is blocked by UCLA Bruins offensive tackle Mike Harris (65) during the second quarter at AT
Combines are done and we have seen some player movement in free agency. Time to put together another mock draft.
Each Bolt Beat mock draft is featured in the DC Pro Sports Report, WalterFootball.com, Sports Jabber, hailredskins.com and fftoolbox.com mock draft databases. Each site keeps track of a huge number mock drafts all over the web.
Here is my latest Mock Draft:
1. Indianapolis ColtsAndrew LuckQB, StanfordPeyton Manning gone and now the new Luck era begins.
2. Washington RedskinsRobert Griffin IIIQB, BaylorTrade 3 first round picks for the quarterback that they wanted
3. Minnesota VikingsMatt KalilOT, USCTime to fix up that offensive line and protect Christian Ponder
4. Cleveland Browns Trent RichardsonRB, AlabamaPeyton Hillis is gone and need to fix the running game
5. Tampa Bay BuccaneersMorris ClaiborneCB, LSUThey weren’t able to bring in Cortland Finnegan and had to settle for Eric Wright. They find their other corner here.
6. St. Louis RamsJonathan MartinOT, StanfordAny other team, I would have gone with Justin Blackmon, but for some reason think Jeff Fisher would go with -line first
7. Jacksonville JaguarsJustin BlackmonWR, Oklahoma StateThe Jags need help at receiver in a bad way and they luck out with Blackmon falling to them.
8. Carolina PanthersMelvin IngramDE, South CarolinaThe Carolina Chargers pick up all the players we used to have or players we want, so they will take Ingram with this pick.
9. Miami DolphinsMichael FloydWR, Notre DameAfter trading away Brandon Marshall, they are in serious need of a wide receiver
10. Buffalo BillsQuinton CoplesDE, North CarolinaThey signed Mario Williams, but still need help on the defensive side.
11. Kansas City ChiefsDavid DeCastroOG, StanfordThey just picked up an offensive tackle and now need to fill the interior of the line
12. Seattle SeahawksMichael BrockersDT, LSUThey picked up Matt Flynn, so they don’t need to look Ryan Tannehill’s way. Now they go toward the defense.
13. Arizona CardinalsRiley ReiffOT, IowaHave to protect their golden quarterback
Peyton Manning Kevin Kolb
14. Dallas CowboysPeter KonzC, WisconsinThey need interior lineman and select best center avaialable
15. Philadelphia EaglesLuke KuechlyLB, Boston CollegeMiddle linebacker was their weakest spot last season and they select the tackling machine
16. New York JetsDontari PoeDT, MemphisHis combine shot him up the draft and into Rex Ryan’s house
18. San Diego ChargersWhitney MercilusDE/OLB, IllinoisThe choice will be between Courtney Upshaw, Whitney Mercilus and Nick Perry and we take the one-year wonder.
21. Cincinnati BengalsMark BarronS, AlabamaThey bring in both guys from the Alabama secondary onto their roster
23. Detroit LionsJanoris JenkinsCB, Northern AlabamaThey lost Eric Wright and need to fill the hole in the secondary
24. Pittsburgh SteelersNick PerryDE, USCPerry gets to have his hand on the ground and pass rushing for the Steelers
25. Denver BroncosDwayne AllenTE, ClemsonNeed to get more weapons for Peyton
26. Houston TexansFletcher CoxDT, Mississippi StateI just can’t help but think that Wade Phillips will get them to select more defense
28. Green Bay PackersJerel WorthyDT, Michigan StateNeed more help on their defensive front
29. Baltimore RavensDont’a HightowerLB, AlabamaLooking to bring some youth to the defense
30. San Francisco 49ersMike AdamsOT, Ohio StateGotta protect Peyton… wait did that alredy
31. New England Patriots Alfonzo DennardCB, NebraskaStill defense, defense, defense
23. New York GiantsDavid WilsonRB, Virginia TechTheir fat running back is gone and they need depth behind Ahmad Bradshaw
Based on what we have done in free agency (so far), we will need to go heavy on the defensive side of the ball with this draft. First we need to pick up that pass rusher that AJ prioritized in the off-season, then we need to work on that secondary.
Whitney Mercilus might has been known as a one-year wonder, but he looks like a freak athlete and looks like he can continue his success in the NFL. He has a lot of speed off the edge and has great balance to get to the quarterback.
He could work in the mix on the outside with Jarret Johnson, Antwan Barnes and Shaun Phillips. Eventually, he could take over SP’s spot on the roster. He could be thrown on the field during passing downs and asked to chase the quarterback. Barnes, Phillips and Mercilus all on the field at the same time could be a nightmare for opposing defenses.