Thanks to AJ Smith’s ingenious decision making ability it has officially been announced that the San Diego Chargers will not be receiving any compensatory picks. Sure, Vincent Jackson only went on to be the NFL’s 5th leading receiver with 1,384 yards and a trip to the 2013 Pro Bowl. No big deal, right? Last off-season, Smith tried hard to save his job and in the end we lost our star wide receiver, gave up big money to busts and didn’t get anything for our loses. Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal combined for 441 yards. Smith could have signed three Robert Meachem’s and three Eddie Royal’s and they still wouldn’t have exceeded the production of Jackson down in Tampa Bay. That should be enough to say good riddance to a stubborn, impersonal General Manager. Tom Telesco needs to re-load this team and as promised he said he would do it through the draft. We have one pick in each round which presents the opportunity to find seven studs. Here are my assessments on the kids we might target in each round based on need, value, quality and availability.
Round 1 (Pick 11)
- Chance Warmack, Guard – Best guard in the draft.
- Lane Johnson, Tackle – One of the top three tackles in the draft, there’s a huge gap in quality after Johnson.
- Or trade back a few spots in the first round in addition to a few extra picks
Round 2 (Pick 45)
- Jamar Taylor, Cornerback – With Derek Cox on board, we might not go in the direction of a cornerback so early.
- Terron Armstead, Tackle – After the first three tackles are off the board there’s a drop off in quality. If we take Warmack a tackle is still a priority.
- Kevin Minter, Inside Linebacker – One of the top inside backers in this year’s draft.
- Jesse Williams, Defensive Tackle – Flying under the radar, could potentially play nose.
- Justin Pugh, Guard – A decent option at guard.
Round 3 (Pick 76)
- Sylvester Williams, Defensive Tackle
- Robert Alford, Cornerback
- John Jenkins, Defensive Tackle
- Brandon Jenkins, Defensive End
- John Jenkins, Nose Tackle
Round 4 (Pick 110)
- Brian Winters, Guard
- Larry Warford, Guard
- Leon Mcfadden, Cornerback
- Christine Michael, Runningback (With Danny Woodhead on board, a need for runningback isn’t a priority anymore)
- DeVonte Holloman, Outside Linebacker
Round 5 (Pick 145)
- John Bostic, Inside Linebacker
- J.J. Wilcox, Strong Safety
- Tony Jefferson, Free Safety (Switch him to strong safety)
- Sean Porter, Outside Linebacker
Round 6 (Pick 179)
- Hugh Thornton, Guard
- Kevin Riddick, Inside Linebacker (If he’s still available this late)
- Zac Stacy, Running Back
- Reid Fragel, Tackle
Round 7 (Pick 221)
- Lonnie Pryor, Fullback
- Zach Boren, Fullback
- Anthony McCloud, Nose Tackle
- Josh Boyd, Defensive Tackle
Note that the draft is an ever changing game. Players in different positions will be picked up earlier or later based on needs from other teams, which affects our draft design. It will be Telesco’s job to find the best available player when it’s our turn to pick. Who would you like to see drafted to the San Diego Chargers?
Tags: San Diego Chargers