I know that I have written this blog before. Right? But now that the San Diego Chargers have 47 turnovers in 25 games it is time to revisit this topic. Because 40 of those turnovers were delivered by our quarterback, Philip Rivers. Rivers has put up 32 interceptions and 8 lost fumbles in only two seasons. Wait a minute, my math cannot be right. Yup, according to NFL.com it is. In 2011 Philip had 20 INT’s plus the 12 he has already put up in 2012 with six weeks remaining. The fumbles are nine in 2011 and six so far for 2012, but only eight of those 15 were lost. By comparison, Rivers has put up 42 touchdowns in two years. If you took away just half of those interceptions this would be a different kind of story.
Rivers is an all around nice guy and I would love to see him stay a Charger if he could get back to his 2008-2009 form. I am not sure if what is going on with Rivers and the Chargers can even be fixed at this point. I have watched the post game interviews and they all seem so surprised about the giant mistakes that were made. How could they be surprised? They have been making the same mistakes for months and now have added in blocked punts and direct throws to the other team. Norv Turner doesn’t even know what he is talking about when he is interviewing. It’s embarrassing to say the least.
So, back to Rivers and what could be wrong. Here are some of my thoughts. Please review and let me now your thoughts.
1. Color Blind – Has he ever been tested? Tampa Bay wears red and he threw the ball directly to the defender with no Charger player in sight.
2. The Force is not strong with this one. Maybe he is just done. Quarterbacks do not last forever. It is a brutal job and he might have hit the ground to many times to be able to perform as a starter.
3. Norv Turner. Could he be out there so pissed about the crappy play calling being sent in from Turner that he is just making mistakes? Like when you drive and you are mad and you run over the curb or roll through a stop sign?
4. He’s scared. With Gaither out and the left side of the line practically inviting defenders to take a shot at Rivers he may just be afraid of getting knocked down again.
5. He’s hurt. His knee, his shoulder, concussion? The Chargers do not have a good backup QB, so Rivers is going in hurt and clipboard Charlie is brushing his hair.
By the way, I went back to our BoltBeat blog archive. I did write on this before, a year and one month ago, you can read it here and wonder how many more years I will feel the need to write the same thing?
Something has got to change.
Tags: San Diego Chargers