Chargers to watch: Honorable mentions
Most Chargers fans can focus on the positions and players listed above, but there are still a few smaller stories to keep an eye on. They are:
- Michael Badgley, who missed a few kicks in Thursday’s joint practice with the Rams, which was open to the public.
- Justin Jones, who has reportedly made massive strides over the offseason
- Drue Tranquill, Emeke Egbule, and Cortez Broughton, all Day 3 defensive draft choices who should get extensive playing time with veterans resting.
- The backup quarterbacks, who are more exciting this year than any previous year with Rivers as the starter.
- Ty Long or Tyler Newsome, the two punters looking to replace Donnie Jones.
- If Feeney gets a chance to play center with Lamp at left guard once Mike Pouncey is pulled from the lineup early.
- Where Kyzir White fits in with the defense, and where the team opts to play him considering he may play any of the three linebacker spots.
- The ascension of Uchenna Nwosu, who has now been selected as the starting outside linebacker heading into 2019.
Chargers football is back, and it’s potentially their best team since Telesco took over as general manager. Back with a familiar system with largely the same roster, Anthony Lynn has his team getting ready to make a long run in the postseason; here’s to hoping all their ACL’s survive the preseason.