Reason 5: A better chance to beat the Chiefs
Even with as bad as the kicking game was last season, the Chargers still would have won the division if they could have beaten the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium last December. They didn’t even come close.
More from Bolt Beat
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
This isn’t to say that this division will come down to these two teams this season, but the Chiefs are the team that the Chargers must overcome to exorcise past demons, so to speak. The Chargers have lost the last eight meetings in this series, with their last win coming in December 2013. They needed overtime to get that one.
However, with the departure of Smith as well as key losses such as Albert Wilson, Tamba Hali and Ramik Wilson, the Chiefs figure to be much less experienced this season with Mahomes leading the charge at quarterback.
The Chiefs have won the last two division titles but they are ripe for the picking and the Chargers must take advantage. They’ll get their shot right out of the gate when the two teams meet at StubHub Center in Week 1 on September 9.