Question 1: What specific FA should the Chargers target and who will they probably target?
Not counting the Bolts’ own free agents, here are two possible players the Chargers should target at each major position of need in free agency:
- Demario Davis, Jets. Played well enough to get a contract, but may be out of the Bolts’ price range. Still, the Chargers get a good veteran on defense.
- Jon Bostic, Colts. Only because of the Tom Telesco-Colts connection. Would be cheap, but a better player than Hayes Pullard. PFF Grade: 74.7 (38th ranked linebacker). I see him in the Kavell Conner role, where he isn’t a starter, but a reliable backup.
- Defensive tackle:
- Sheldon Richardson, Seahawks. PFF Grade: 83.8. This would be a pricier acquisition than just drafting one, and Richardson has a small history of issues that the Chargers don’t tend to associate themselves with. Still, he would flourish in this defense surrounded by insanely good talent, and would open up the Chargers’ first-round pick.
- Justin Ellis, Raiders. If you’re looking for a pass rusher, Ellis isn’t your guy. But the future defensive middle for the Chargers needs to be good at stopping the run, and big boy Ellis is. Also, he comes from a rival team. Payback is fun.
- Right tackle:
- Chris Hubbard, Steelers. Because he’s… cheaper than Barksdale?
- Greg Robinson, Lions. Look, Robinson has been a total bust up until this point. But the Chargers have an odd habit of making castoffs look not too bad on the offensive line. There’s talent there, and maybe the Chargers can pick up a young tackle who can take the King Dunlap route and find a home with the Bolts.
- Caleb Sturgis, Eagles. Formerly with the Philadelphia Eagles, Sturgis lost his job to Josh Elliott last season after being injured early on. He was a solid 35-41 in 2016.
- Graham Gano, Panthers. Going 29-30 on field goals is fantastic, even if none of his regular season kicks went for more than 50 yards.
Question 2: You think we will pick up a Franchise QB in the draft? -@SantinoPereyra
I don’t think the Chargers pick up the next franchise QB in this draft. I definitely don’t believe any of the first three picks go toward quarterback, and I don’t want them to this year. Telesco needs to throw everything he has at getting Rivers and the Chargers a Super Bowl ring.
I commented earlier on some potential day two or day three quarterbacks, but I still don’t think the Bolts take one. However, if they do, feel free to go back and read my third email question from the second slide to see which ones I wouldn’t mind them taking. Thanks for the question!