In the middle of the game on Sunday, the San Diego Chargers trotted out Keenan Allen on punt returns and Branden Oliver on kickoff returns. That was surprising since the team signed the dynamic returner Jacoby Jones to take care of that duty for the Chargers. He had to end his day early though with a sprained ankle.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 16, 2015
The ankle injury is not serious, but we still are not sure of his status for this week’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The return game doesn’t have as big of a threat with Allen and Oliver back there returning the ball.
Jones was picked up in the offseason to bring fire to the special teams and he barely has been able to show his ability. We hope to see him back on the field soon. Some fans were hoping that the team kept Javontee Herndon on the roster to take over that role after his play in the preseason. The team decided to stick with the veteran that has the history of making game changing plays.
We all will be waiting to see Jones break loose on special teams. Hopefully we can see that part of the game soon. We haven’t seen that type of threat on our special teams since Darren Sproles was on the roster.
More from Bolt Beat
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better