San Diego Chargers agree to extension with Philip Rivers
Aug 13, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) drops back to pass during the first quarter against the Dallas Cowboys in a preseason NFL football game at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Can Philip Rivers step in and win a championship with the Chargers under this new deal? That will be the question. Will he be able to even get to the Super Bowl? The Chargers have not been to the Super Bowl since Stan Humphries was calling the plays in the huddle. Can Philip get this team there?
Philip has weapons around him and they are maturing weapons. Antonio Gates and Malcom Floyd are not getting any younger, but the roster around him can grow together and could possibly make a push. Peyton Manning can’t have that many more seasons left and we could possibly say the same for Tom Brady. Philip will have to beat the new generation of quarterbacks with Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. He also has to beat out Ben Roethlisberger.
More from Bolt Beat
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better