San Diego Chargers RB Ryan Mathews suffered a knee injury early in the year and has been sitting on the sideline nursing the knee. He likely will return after the BYE week.
Ryan Mathews will not be on the field this week against the Miami Dolphins, but his return should come very soon. He should be ready to go after the team returns from the BYE week to face off against the Oakland Raiders. He has been doing some work with the team, but that can ramp up very quickly and he will be able to get an extra week rest with the BYE week here.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
Getting Mathews back on the field will be a nice addition to the roster. Like I have been saying, getting as many playmakers available for the team will be nice. Let Frank Reich figure out how to use them properly.
I like what Mathews brings to the field and I think he brings something different to the running game. I think he will be able to make some things happen despite the lack of holes created by the offensive line. Branden Oliver has that type of ability as well, but when one guy is unable to pick up yards, there is another option that we can throw at a defense.
I am going to like the combination of running backs that we will throw onto the field. I am sure that we will see them both on the field at the same time in some sets.