Sep 8, 2014; Glendale, AZ, USA; San Diego Chargers running back Ryan Mathews (24) makes a 20 yard touchdown during the second half against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports
There is some talk about Ryan Mathews and if he should be the starter when he returns to the field. With Branden Oliver tearing it up in the last couple of games, fans wonder if they should give the ball back to Mathews.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
Mathews still is a special runner. He still brings a burst to the team and to the offense and it will be interesting to see how the team uses their talents on the field, possibly together.
There were a number of times that Mathews lined up as a fullback in the first game of the year and I am sure we could see more of that with Oliver as the tail back. The carries are going to be split. McCoy has always been a fan of sharing the backfield, so I am sure that they will share the time in the backfield
The Chargers will just have to roll with the hot hand. There is no other way that the team should do it.
The biggest question will be in the offseason when Ryan becomes a free agent. We will hit up on that subject in another post.