Oct 5, 2014; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers running back Branden Oliver (43) runs while defended by New York Jets inside linebacker David Harris (52) and outside linebacker Quinton Coples (98) and n24#2/ during the fourth quarter at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Branden Oliver brought another award to San Diego by taking home the PepsiNext Rookie of the Week honors for his performance against the New York Jets. What a performance that was also. There shouldn’t have been any doubts on him taking that award home and hopefully he can duplicate that performance down the road… like on Sunday.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
The Chargers would love to rely on the running game more and keep Philip Rivers standing.
Oliver will give the team a nice threat in the backfield while Ryan Mathews is on the sideline. When Mathews returns, it will be a nice combination for the offense to use.
I look forward to having that healthy backfield this season. Mathews still is a great threat to have in the backfield when he is healthy. He has the ability to break off big chunks of yards all the time.
Could you imagine if Oliver starts getting talked about as a rookie of the year candidate. We must be rolling real good if that starts popping up. Can’t wait to hear it.