Oct 5, 2014; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers running back Branden Oliver (43) runs while defended by New York Jets inside linebacker David Harris (52) and outside linebacker Quinton Coples (98) and n24#2/ during the fourth quarter at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Let the awards start flying around again this week. Philip Rivers has been the name that we have been accustomed to for getting awards this season, but this week we have our eyes looking at the rookie out of Buffalo Branden Oliver.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
What an impressive performance by the little back. He ran all over the top run defense in the league and made some big plays in the passing game.
Oliver stepped up and made a name for himself and will be getting the opportunity to get more touches as the season goes on. He stepped in for the injured Donald Brown and showed that he should be considered the top back as long as Ryan Mathews is sitting on the sideline.
I am sure that the Chargers will give Oliver more opportunities this week against the Oakland Raiders. He should be able to make more big plays with it this weekend.