Aug 16, 2013; Kansas City, MO, USA; Kansas City Chiefs running back Shaun Draughn (20) runs for yardage during the second half at Arrowhead Stadium. San Francisco won 15-13. Mandatory Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports
The San Diego Chargers signed RB Shaun Draughn onto the roster and he will fill the veteran back role until Ryan Mathews is ready to return to the team, per Chargers.com. He will be the 3rd back on the roster.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
The team is going to trust in Donald Brown and Branden Oliver for now. The team should be fine with those 2 taking the bulk of the workload.
Draugn was released by the Chicago Bears before the start of the season. He looked like he was going to be the backup to Matt Forte, but the team decided to make the cut instead.
The team also added LB Kevin Reddick onto the roster. Reddick played with the New Orleans Saints last season and will give the team some depth in the middle. With Manti Te’o out for some time, the team could use someone to help on special teams and be depth in the middle. Kavell Conner will get more playing time on defense and may be taken out of his role on special teams.
In order to make room for Reddick, the team has released Lawrence Guy.