The injury bug has stuck again on the San Diego Chargers roster. LB Manti Te’o has been plagued with foot injuries in his first 2 seasons with the Chargers and it has struck him again. He will miss several weeks in the middle of the defense with a fractured foot. Te’o was leading the team in tackles and finished the game last week with 10 tackles.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
Te’o was playing well before the injury. He was playing with better instincts this season and was always around the football.
With Te’o sitting on the sideline, the team will roll with Kavell Conner in the starting lineup. He is a thumper and should fill in well at the position. The team is much more prepped for an injury in the middle of the defense this season. Last year, both Donald Butler and Manti Te’o missed time with injuries, but the team didn’t have many options to play in the middle of the defense. Reggie Walker stepped in well, but Bront Bird was the next man up after him. This season, Walker is still on the roster and can play all the linebacker spots and Kavell Conner was brought in as the main backup in the middle.
Hopefully Te’o can get right and step right back in when his foot is ready.