San Diego Chargers RB Danny Woodhead is likely out for the rest of the season after suffering an ankle injury against the Buffalo Bills. With Woodhead out, the team will need to find someone else to step up at the running backs spot. Ryan Mathews is already out for a number of weeks because of an injury and now the team lost their 3rd down threat.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
With Woodhead out, the team could bring up Marion Grice up from the practice squad or look to fill the hole on the roster with someone with a bit more experience. I couldn’t see the team going with a pair of rookies in the backfield to take some significant carries, so I expect the team to look to free agency.
It sucks to have one of the toughest players in the game OUT for the rest of the season. The team should bring in LaMichael James or Benjarvus Green-Ellis onto the team in order to take some of the carries. I think that the team should go with James. He is the most comparable to Woodhead. He has the ability to make plays out of the backfield and make people miss. He also could help the team on special teams in the return game. James could help the team in both punt and kickoff returns.