Sep 14, 2014; San Diego, CA, USA; Seattle Seahawks runningback Robert Turbin runs for a first down as San Diego Chargers outside linebacker Melvin Ingram (54) gives chase during the second quarter at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
San Diego Chargers LB Melvin Ingram has been placed on IR with the designation to return. He will be out at least 7 games with a hip injury. That is a shocker! That came out of left field.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
That will give the rookie Jerry Attaochu an opportunity to step in while Ingram is out for those games. Attaochu might not be available for the next game though and the Chargers will have to reach deeper into their bag of tricks with Tourek Williams and Reggie Walker getting playing time.
Ingram just came off of one of his best games as a pro against the Seattle Seahawks. He put pressure on Russell Wilson throughout the game and was in the backfield disrupting plays. Now he is on the IR list for the 2nd season in a row. He can come back toward the end of the season, but someone will have to step up and take over his role on the defense.
Dwight Freeney is mainly used to chase after the quarterback. Jerry Attaochu will get his chance. It is just too bad we cut Larry English.