Sep 8, 2014; Glendale, AZ, USA; San Diego Chargers cornerback Jason Verrett (22) against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Chargers 18-17. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
San Diego Chargers rookie CB Jason Verrett had an impressive showing in his first start of the season. He also played very well in the first game of the year. He looks like he could get another opportunity to start this weekend with Brandon Flowers still recovering from his groin injury.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers: 3 early takeaways from 2021 minicamp thus far
- LA Chargers: Drue Tranquill takes a jab at Gus Bradley’s defense
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing to lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
It would be nice to have all the corners available in the game, but having the dept at the position has been nice. Verrett could get matched up on another rookie player in Sammy Watkins. That could be an epic matchup to watch during the game.
If Verrett has another strong start this weekend, he could push to take the starting job for the rest of the season. Verrett has shown the potential to be a really good player in this league. I like the idea of getting more playing time, but I would love to have all the players in the secondary available.
We will see how long it takes Flowers to heal form his injury. He played well in the first game of the year and will be a nice contributor when he gets back on the field.