Sep 8, 2014; Glendale, AZ, USA; San Diego Chargers defensive back Brandon Flowers (26) against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Chargers 18-17. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
San Diego Chargers CB Brandon Flowers suffered a groin injury during practice and was limited in practice yesterday and is not on the practice field today. If Flowers were to miss the game against the Seattle Seahawks, rookie 1st round draft pick CB Jason Verrett could see his first start in his career.
More from LA Chargers News
- LA Chargers second-year players: Nothing lose and a lot to gain
- LA Chargers: Why running back could be a big issue for the Bolts
- LA Chargers: Chris Rumph’s upside is Melvin Ingram-like, but better
- Chargers: Reggie Slater calls LA the “dream scenario” for Rashawn Slater
- LA Chargers: The 4 best moves of the Bolts’ offseason
Verrett was impressive in his first game of his career against the Cardinals. He contested a bunch of balls in the passing game and was putting hits on players throughout the day. I like what Verrett could provide to the defense in a starting capacity, but that doesn’t mean that I would want Brandon Flowers sitting on the sideline in order to see that happen. Flowers had a strong game against the Arizona Cardinals also and limited Larry Fitzgerald in his production.
At the end of the season, I could see both Verrett and Flowers as the starting corners on the roster. Shareece Wright had his issues covering Michael Floyd in the first game and will need to step up his production.