May 29, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; General view of the San Diego Chargers helmet of tackle Mike Harris (not pictured) at organized team activities at Chargers Park. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee/Image of Sport-US PRESSWIRE
I know a few of you have heard the story of Brian Banks. His story was part of the morning dump a couple of days ago, but here is a little summary if you didn’t catch it on the dump.
Banks was a high school star linebacker and all kinds of colleges, including USC, offered him a full ride scholarship because of his football talent. Then, when he was 17 years old he was convicted for kidnapping and rape. His football career stopped and he had to sit in jail for 5 years.
Banks, now 26 years old, has been cleared of the charges last week after receiving assistance from California Western School of Law. Now Banks wants to get back into football and one of the teams that he would love to play for is the San Diego Chargers.
There are some conflicting reports on our interest in him.
LA Weekly just posted this:
Bill Johnston, director of public relations for the San Diego Chargers, says “there’s no interest in this time” at letting Banks try out for the team.
“No one here had even heard of him until this story came out until this story came out today,” says Johnston.
And then KUSI posted a story that we have contacted him.
It would be an amazing comeback story for the kid, but that is a long hard road to make. I will be rooting for him on whatever team he catches on with. There is some speculation that he catches on with the Miami Dolphins since his story would be perfect for HBO Hard Knocks. We shall see where he ends up. I really doubt that he ends up here.