The 2014 NFL Draft is right around the corner and we can put to rest all the insane mock drafts and start talking about our great draft selections soon. The Chargers have a few needs to fill going into the draft. Here are a few of the positions that we will need to look at going into the draft and prioritized by need.
1. Cornerback – The secondary was ugly last season. Richard Marshall stepped in as the starter, but the team needs to find a long term solution at the position. Shareece Wright could be one of the starters for a few years, but we need to find someone else to add back there.
2. Pass Rusher – Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson are going to be free agents at the end of the year and nobody at the outside linebacker position has been durable enough to last for a whole season. We couldn’t get pressure on quarterbacks at all and the team needs to find some people that can disrupt the timing of quarterbakcks.
3. Wide Receiver – Malcom Floyd’s status is up in the air and Vincent Brown’s career is in limbo based on last season’s performance. The team needs to find another threat on the roster for Philip Rivers.
4. Nose Tackle – Sean Lissemore is the starter at the position and will likely be good enough to lock it down, but there is no depth behind him in the middle. Cam Thomas was the starter last season and he couldn’t get the job done. Lissemore is still young and could be the future at the position, but there is no depth.
5. Offensive Guard/Center – The depth in the middle is needed up front. We can never have too many big linemen on the roster, but Nick Hardwick will likely be hanging up his cleats soon and the team needs to find someone to steal the starting job on the front line.
Tags: San Diego Chargers