Starting up a new series for the players that are “question marks” on the San Diego Chargers roster. Some players on the Chargers roster, we have certain expectations for them to fill. We expect Eric Weddle, Corey Liuget and Donald Butler to perform at the levels that they have been performing at. Then we have the question marks. Players that could absolutely bomb or could be an absolute game changer… we just have no idea what to expect.
This post will be focused on Shareece Wright. Wright was a 3rd round draft pick out of USC and had some issues staying on the field. He had injury issues and also was academically ineligible for another season. Here was his scouting report coming out of college:
- Good height and decent bulk with long arms
- Athletic and smooth with nice speed and a burst
- Quick and agile with superb change of direction
- Fluid hips, excellent feet and transitions well
- Able to turn and run with wideouts downfield
- Displays above average instincts and awareness
- Aggressive and physical with adequate strength
- Gets a nice jam at the line of scrimmage
- Is not afraid to hit or support the run
- Very competitive and has a short memory
- Still has considerable upside
- Is still relatively inexperienced
- Takes some unnecessary chances
- Is not a very reliable tackler
- Intelligence is a question mark
- Hasn’t been much of a playmaker
- Ran into some trouble off the field
- Durability and health are concerns
Those injury concerns still have not disappeared. Those issues still have popped up during his tenure with the Chargers.
Wright will be given the opportunity to start for the first time in his Chargers career. He has the potential to be good, but he has to stay on the field. One of his weaknesses was his experience on the field and he still hasn’t had a ton of experience since joining the Chargers. He has to find a way to stay on the field.
If he can play solid at the corner spot, it will be a huge boost to the defense. Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason were one of the weaker parts of the defense last year. Wright will make his share of mistakes, but hopefully he can limit those and play solid on his side. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
Tags: San Diego Chargers