The FanSided crew has a NFL Mock draft rolling right now where all the different editors from all the team sites are making the selections. When spot number 11 came up onto the clock, Ernie Padaon and the San Diego Chargers selected….
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
All the tackles were already off of the board and Chance Warmack was already taken. I probably wouldn’t have taken him anyway. Jonathan Cooper was there for the picking, but had to go in a different direction. The Chargers can pick up a guard later if they want it.
Here is how the draft broke down before it got to pick 11:
1. Kansas City Chiefs – Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Dion Jordan, LB, Oregon
3. Oakland Raiders – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Philadelphia Eagles – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
5. Detroit Lions – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
6. Cleveland Browns – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
7. Arizona Cardinals – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
8. Buffalo Bills – Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
9. New York Jets – Barkevious Mingo, OLB,LSU
10. Tennessee Titans – Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
Anyone surprised I didn’t go Tavon Austin on this one?
If I can’t get one of those big time offensive linemen, we are going to make the defense the strength of this team. Team up Eric Weddle with another high potential safety and we could have something good happening on the defense. Having playmakers on that side of the ball can shorten up fields and give Philip Rivers more opportunities to put that ball in the end zone. Remember some of the failures of last season? 4th-and-forever? Debacle where we lost a 24 point lead?
Add a couple more playmakers on the defense and those things will never happen. Get off the field on 3rd down and Philip will get more opportunities.
This team needs PLAYMAKERS!