Hello football fans! It is April and the NFL is starting to heat up! Sure, it’s 150 days until we will see a real kickoff, but the NFL draft can be turned into an event too. Personally, I love the draft. It’s a great reason to have friends over, make some food and discuss football. In case you are not all in, here are my top five reasons you shouldn’t miss it.
5. Invite friends – Nothing like getting a group of people together to talk football. Especially if you have friends who are fans of different teams. I know, I know, it’s about the San Diego Chargers 24/7/365, but you can begin the seasons rivalry if your friends team happens to pick someone like Ryan Leaf.
4. Food and drinks – Nothing says NFL Draft like some good food and drinks. Make lots of finger foods, snack plates, stock the beer fridge and suggest friends bring toothbrush and jammies. Nothing says football like a post-draft day hangover. That said, make sure you put in for Friday the 26th as a vacation day and stock up on bloody mary supplies.
3. Football Holiday – Do not accept any meeting invites, schedule any events or plan any major surgery. This is your first glimpse into how your season will go and for us Charger fans, it will be our first outing with our new General Manager. I am already chomping on my nails in anticipation!
2. Get geeky – I don’t know about you, but not only will the draft be on at least 5 TV’s at our house, but all laptops will be refreshing regularly. It is pretty cool that you can look up each players stats, history and personal life with a click of a button. Fun smack talk on twitter will be a three day event.
1. Excitement – Even if you are not that into whether or not we trade up to get the best lineman possible or if we pick a new quarterback, there is something that you will feel deep down when the very first player is chosen. The emotion that these kids and their families feel and the excitement of hearing their names called gives me chills. It truly is the biggest moment of their life and I love watching it happen.
The 2013 NFL Draft starts on Thursday, April 25 at 5 PM SoCal time. The second and third rounds follow on Friday April 26 at 3:30 PM. Rounds 4-7 will be held Saturday, April 27 at 9 AM. If you do not already have NFL Network, call your cable company NOW.