It sounds like football in Los Angeles won’t be happening in 2013. That means the Chargers will stay in San Diego for at least one more season. Here is the info from Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback:
That’s the upshot of momentum-less franchise movement talks among the shaky teams — the Raiders and Chargers, most notably — as the new year approaches. In June, commissioner Roger Goodell laid out a scenario whereby a team would be allowed to move to Los Angeles, and a source at the league meetings in Dallas last week told me none of the tenuous teams are close to meeting the requisites. A team wanting to move would have to demonstrate these three conditions:
1. A team has to establish market failure where it now plays.
2. A new stadium deal would have to be in place in Los Angeles with the moving franchise. Four sites — downtown, Chavez Ravine, Carson or City of Industry — are possible landing spots for a relocated franchise.
3. An interim stadium deal — at the Rose Bowl or Coliseum — would have to be in place for the 2013 season and beyond.
As of Thursday, I’m told no team had satisfied any of the three conditions, and none is in serious discussions for a temporary place to play while a new stadium is built. Though the window for satisfying all three conditions is open until Feb. 15, progress has been nil, and it’s now impossible that a team could get all three things done in the next eight weeks. That means we won’t see a resolution on a new team for Los Angeles until early 2014, at the earliest.
The Chargers have been on a downhill slide and have abandoned their fan base by keeping Norv Turner in town. Now the fans want AJ Smith out of town and some crazy fans have already said that the team should just move out of town. Dean Spanos has to satisfy some of the locals this offseason by dumping out some of the trash and restore some of the faith in town. At least the team will be sticking around for a little while longer.