Like Philip Rivers, I believe it is time for one of those games where we are proud to be Chargers fans. Where we are jumping off the couch and screaming at the TV because of great plays. Where no guacamole will be uneaten due to loss of appetite and hands will hurt from celebratory high fives. Yes, we are due.
With week eleven here, we are looking for the Chargers to perform well in Chicago, where they will meet the Bears. The Bears are riding a four game winning streak. They are also 4-1 at home. Oh, and did I mention that they love to take the ball away? The Bears have forced twelve turnovers with six of those coming in last weeks game against the Lions. The Bears also have Devin Hester. He is not the guy we want to be facing when proving a point. The Chargers strategy with him needs to be to kick it through the end zone or even take the out of bounds penalty.
Did I mention the Chargers banged up O-line with Dielman out for the season? With McNeill and Vasquez missing practices this week as well. Rivers random throws to the wrong team and Vincent Jackson and his inability to pay attention? These are concerns, but not show stoppers. We spent this week patching up the line. Rivers, Jackson and Gates had time to rest up and work together. Mathews spent time practicing his blocking and ball handling. The attitude on the airplane will be to win or watch the Raiders take the division.
Ok, so where is the good news you ask? It’s all there, you just need to read between the lines.
1. Rivers and Cutler do not like each other. Both will be trying to show the other that they are better with many passes into the end zone. Rivers will have more passing yards, TD’s and zero turnovers.
2. The Bears are going in thinking “we got this”. They will be over confident and facing a Chargers team that knows they need to win, and win now.
3. Chargers are coming off a long week of rest. Gates, VJ, Brinkley and Mathews are going to blow it up like we have not seen yet this season. Start them in your FF my friends.
4. Last time the Chargers played the Bears, the Chargers won 14-3. That game also broke a four game winning streak. Coincidence? I think not.
5. Check the calendar. It’s November. It’s time to win.