That’s right, this interview is the first EXCLUSIVE Bolt Beat interview! I was able to sit down and ask Andrew 10 questions 1-on-1. After chatting with him, I cannot wait to see what he brings to the team this season!
Andrew Gachkar is our 7th round selection from the 2011 NFL Draft. He is a linebacker out of Missouri. He had an extremely productive final 2 seasons there and developed himself to a pro talent. In his senior season at Missou he had 84 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 interceptions. He is 6’2″, 231 lbs and brings a great special teams and defensive talent to the Chargers in 2011!
A glimpse of his special teams speed and ability to get downfield:
A glimpse of his ability to read the quarterback and adjust to make the INT!
So here it goes, 10 questions with Rookie draft selection Andrew Gachkar!
1. 7th round, 234th pick. The San Diego Chargers select Andrew Gachkar, Linebacker, Missouri. What was the first thought in your mind?
“Well I had already given up on the draft at that point so I was real caught off guard. Extremely thankful though that they are giving me an opportunity.”
2. During your time at Missouri, your stats progressed each season and continued to grow. What was the key to your development and success in the Big 12?
“I had the chance to play along side Sean Weatherspoon for three years so I learnt so much through him. Surgeries slowed me down in the beginning so once I was able to be on the field constantly it was only a matter of time before I was completely comfortable and able to make big plays.”
3. You played right along side Aldon Smith who went 7th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. Does that motivate you and make you want to prove your worth even more in the NFL?
“Aldon is an excellent player and he deserves it for sure. Playing along side him and seeing what he was capable of is always going to want to make me try to better my game. That’s something we both learned through competition at mizzou.”
4. Who has been the most influential person you have come across in your football career?
“Without a doubt my position coach Dave Steckel. He tought me everything I know and molded me into the adult I am today.”
5. Being selected in the NFL draft whether 1st, 4th, or 7th round is something very special. What can Charger fans expect you to bring to the team?
“They can expect a player who gives everything on the field and can make plays. Someone who plays very fast and only cares about winning games.”
6. Who was your favorite NFL player of all time and why?
“I would probably say Emmitt Smith. I was a rb and just loved how he ran so easily and loved the game.”
7. This lockout is stressful on owners, players, coaches, fans, and especially rookies. What have you been doing to prepare yourself for camp when and if this lockout is lifted?
“It’s real hard when your used to four straight years of intense training at mizzou. So I find it hard to even match those workouts but I go to our local club and lift and my old high school and do stuff there. But like I said you can never match what an actual coach can give you.”
8. You have the opportunity to play on the leagues #1 overall ranked defense. What does that mean to you?
“That’s a special thing. I hope to find myself anspot and contribute however they need me. I know at first I will be helping a lot more with special teams which I’m proud to do at the same time.”
9. If you had the opportunity to intercept, sack, or tackle any player in the league who would it be? Why?
“I think I would want to pick off Peyton Manning. He’s the best at what he does and that would mean I got the better of him.”
10. What do you feel will be your biggest asset for success in the NFL? How about your biggest hurdle?
“I know my speed will help me a ton. I can run with the best of them. My hurdle is probably my size, that was my biggest knock coming out. I don’t see it as a huge issue because I can put it on when I’m asked to.”
Thank you Andrew for your time, and allowing Bolt Beat and fans nationwide to get a closer look into our very own 2011 draft selection!
“Thanks again, can’t wait to get to San Diego!” – Andrew Gachkar
I think I speak for all Charger fans when I say WELCOME ANDREW GACHKAR AND CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU IN ACTION! Andrew himself will be reading this article so comments are openly welcomed!